Back to all articles

Work begins on new affordable homes in Trafford

14th March 2024
Trafford Gardens 1

We're delighted to have started work building 33 affordable homes in Trafford as part of a wider housing development of nearly 150 new homes.

We've broken ground at the Trafford Gardens development in Stretford, where we're building 29 one and two-bedroomed apartments and 4 two-bedroomed town houses available on a Rent to Buy basis.

The affordable homes help people onto the property ladder by offering rent at 80% of the market rate, allowing them to save the remaining 20% towards a deposit.

The new homes are located near to Old Trafford Cricket Ground, with easy access into Manchester city centre and features including Juliet balconies, fitted kitchens and outside communal spaces.

The scheme is part of a wider development with Linear Living who are building 116 one and two-bedroomed apartments in a separate block for private sale and rent with contractor Linear Design and Construct.

The rent-to-buy homes are due for completion in spring 2025.

We secured funding for the £7m development through its own private finance arrangements, while Linear Living have received £1.69m from Greater Manchester Combined Authority through its Brownfield Land Fund.

Sasha Deepwell

It’s exciting to be breaking ground on this ambitious new development in the popular borough of Trafford, close to Manchester city centre. Over our last half a century in business, we have diversified our offering to ensure we continue to meet the needs of residents across Greater Manchester. Rent-to-buy homes are a fantastic opportunity for people who need a bit of backing to get their foot on the property ladder and we’re delighted to be investing in these as part of our current development strategy. We’re looking forward to seeing this site grow into a vibrant and sustainable community over the next 15 months.

Sasha Deepwell, Irwell Valley Homes Chief Exeuctive

Cllr Ged Cooney, Greater Manchester Combined Authority Portfolio Lead for Housing, said: “It’s great to see work begin on delivering more much-needed affordable homes in our city-region.

“Our Brownfield Housing Fund is playing a key role in unlocking land across Greater Manchester, as we work with partners to meet growing housing need. Developing brownfield sites will help us provide new, sustainable, high-quality homes and support skilled construction jobs and apprenticeships.”

Cllr James Wright, Trafford Council’s Executive Member for Housing and Advice, said: “Trafford Council is totally committed to the building of more new and affordable homes and I am delighted that work has started on the latest scheme in Stretford.

“We are in a housing crisis so it is vital more affordable homes are built to ensure more people can get on the property ladder.”