Support from your local authority

If you need more significant alterations, such as installing a wet floor shower room or adapted kitchen, you will need to apply to your local authority for a Disabled Facilities Grant using the details below. 

They will arrange for a trained Occupational Therapist to assess your needs and recommend the right solutions for you. The local authority team will then visit your home to assess your financial circumstances (except for applications for children). If your application is approved, the Equipment and Adaptations Team will contact you and let you know the next steps. We will also contribute to any work required. 

If you are a leaseholder, shared owner, or homeowner, you may also qualify for a disabled facilities grant to cover all or part of any adaptations work required.  

You can read more detail in our Aids and Adaptations policy here. 

Useful contacts 


Independent Living Services 01204 337020 or  01204 337900 


The Disability Team on  0161 253 5151 


Equipment and Adaptations Partnership on  0161 234 5001 


Adult Social Care on  0161 607 8200 


Home Repairs & Adaptations on  0161 217 6029 


Adult Social Care on  0161 342 2400 


Equipment & Adaptations Advice Line on  0845 299 0798