COOKIE NOTICE: Irwell Valley uses cookies to store information on your computer, in order to improve your experience when using our website. One of the cookies we use is essential for parts of the site to operate and has already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site (using your browser), but parts of the site may not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, Read More.

Ending your tenancy

Moving out

This section gives you a step-by-step explanation of what you need to do if you wish to end your tenancy.

Notice period

You must give irwell valley homes at least four weeks notice in writing. Your 4 weeks notice period will be calculated from the next available Monday following a ‘Pre-Tenancy Termination Visit’ which will be arranged once we have received your notice of termination. Following the visit, your tenancy end date will then be confirmed in writing by irwell valley homes.

How to inform us that you wish to end your tenancy

In order to inform irwell valley homes that you wish to end your tenancy and arrange for a Pre-tenancy termination visit’, please complete the following form and return to the Lettings Team via post, email or in person at one of our offices.

Tenancy Termination Form - Click here to fill in the form to email back to the Lettings Team at

Next steps

You will be required to return all keys and leave the property in a clean and tidy condition by 10am on the agreed tenancy end date, otherwise you will be responsible for the payment of rent for a further week.

We will attend and change the locks of any customer who return the keys by the 10am deadline. If you are still living at the property and have not informed us, we will roll the tenancy on for another week and charge you for the expense of the call out.

Before you leave your property, you must:

  • Pay all rent and other charges up to the date of the end of your tenancy.
  • Remove all your furniture and personal belongings from your home. We will dispose of any items you leave behind, and charge you for the cost of removing them.
  • Remove all rubbish from inside and outside the property.
  • Remove any greenhouse, garage or shed you have put in the garden.
  • Make sure all fixtures and fittings you have installed and which you are leaving in your home are in good working order.
  • Replace or repair any damaged fixtures and fittings, such as internal doors.
  • Leave your home clean, tidy and in a reasonable state of decoration. We may charge you for the reasonable cost of cleaning the property.
  • Report all repairs that are needed at the property.
  • Provide us with your new address.

Prior to your leaving, we may contact you to conduct a viewing with a prospective customer.

What happens if you leave your home without telling us?

  • If you leave your home without telling us, we will serve a Notice to Quit. If you don’t reply during the Notice to Quit period, we will assume that the property has been abandoned.
  • We will accept this as surrender of your tenancy, which will then bring your tenancy to an end.
  • If you abandon your home, you will not be eligible for housing with us in the future.
  • We may charge you for the cost of all repairs that are needed because you abandoned the property.
  • You must not leave anyone else in your home when you leave.
  • You cannot transfer your tenancy to someone else without our written permission.
  • If you do leave anyone in the property, we will evict them as they will be deemed to be living there without our consent.
  • If you owe us money for rent or other charges when you leave your home, you must make an arrangement with us to repay the debt. If you do not make an arrangement with us, we may use external agencies to identify your new address and seek payment for the outstanding debt.

You must tell us if you will be away from your home for more than four weeks. Failure to do so and we will assume that your home has been abandoned and take the necessary steps to recover possession of the property.

If you need to move, for whatever reason, irwell valley homes can help you find a home, which better suits your needs.


If you have lived in your current home for 12 months or more and hold an assured tenancy, you will be able to apply for an internal housing transfer.

If you need a bigger or smaller home, would like to live in a different irwell valley homes neighbourhood, or your current home is no longer suitable for your needs, then please contact the Lettings team on 0300 561 1111 for a transfer application form.


If you would like to exchange homes with another irwell valley homes customer, we are able to facilitate an internal mutual exchange. If you’d like to move to a home outside of an irwell valley homes area, we are part of the National Mutual Exchange Scheme - 'House Exchange'. This scheme allows a resident of a housing association, such as irwell valley homes, to swap their home with another housing association resident from a different area of the country who is also looking to move.

For more information on mutual exchanges, please contact the Lettings team on 0300 561 1111, you may also follow the below link and register with House Exchange