COOKIE NOTICE: Irwell Valley uses cookies to store information on your computer, in order to improve your experience when using our website. One of the cookies we use is essential for parts of the site to operate and has already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site (using your browser), but parts of the site may not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, Read More.

Aids and adaptations

Aids and adaptations

Irwell Valley Homes contributes to all adaptations carried out by the local authority.

Key Points:

  • All Major Adaptation requests from customers are referred to the relevant local authority
  • Irwell Valley Homes will make a contribution towards the cost of major adaptations carried out by the local authority
  • Irwell Valley Homes will still take ownership of Minor Adaptations such as grab rails, banister rails, lever taps etc and will make use of the services of an Occupational Therapist.

Next Steps:

If you or a family member are experiencing difficulties in maintaining your independence in your home, then you need to contact your local authority to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant. This is financial help towards the cost of adapting your home or providing facilities to help the disabled person live independently within your home.

How do I apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant?

You will need to apply to your local Equipment and Adaptations Service before you apply for a grant. They will liaise with an Occupational Therapist (OT) who will contact you to arrange to carry out an assessment to determine your needs.

Once the OT assessment has been completed, the OT will make recommendations to your Local Adaptation Service Department. They will arrange for a Grant Officer to visit your home to assess your financial circumstances by carrying out a test on your financial resources (except for applications for children). If your application is approved, the Equipment and Adaptations Team will contact you and inform you of the likely waiting period.

To apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant please contact the following Local Authorities:

Location Details
Bolton Independent Living Services 01204 337020 or 01204 337900
Bury The Disability Team on 0161 253 5151
Manchester Equipment and Adaptations Partnership on 0161 234 5001
Salford Adult Social Care on 0161 607 8200
Stockport Home Repairs & Adaptations on 0161 217 6029
Tameside Adult Social Care on 0161 342 2400
Trafford Equipment & Adaptations Advice Line on 0845 299 0798

If you have any queries on how to apply for a Disabled Facilities Grant or wish to request a minor adaptations such as grab rails, stair rails, flashing doorbells etc then please contact us on 0300 561 1111