COOKIE NOTICE: Irwell Valley uses cookies to store information on your computer, in order to improve your experience when using our website. One of the cookies we use is essential for parts of the site to operate and has already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site (using your browser), but parts of the site may not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, Read More.



How they can help

How to contact them

Manchester Community Hub   

The Manchester Community Hub has been established by local organisations to provide support for the most vulnerable people in the area.

It can support people who do not have any other way of sourcing food and medical supplies. They are also helping vulnerable residents to access hardship grants.

Please only contact the hub if you require help accessing food or medical supplies and have no other means of doing this. 

Call them on 0800 234 6123 Monday to Saturday 9am to 5pm.



Council Tax Support

You can submit an application for Council Tax council tax support / reduction online which is a benefit in place to help those on low income/benefits cover their council tax bill.

If you are making a new claim for Universal Credit, Manchester City Council will treat your claim as Council Tax Support as long as you say you want to claim council tax support at the same time. If your Universal Credit claim is refused, you will then have to make a separate claim for council tax support.

Find out more and claim support here.

Manchester City Council Local Welfare Provision

You can apply for a cash grant of between £30 and £60 if you are in a crisis or have an emergency that it outside of your control.

This scheme can help residents with:

  • A safety net in a disaster or emergency, including in some circumstances, help towards fuel, food and other living expenses
  • Vulnerable people to set up a new home by the provision of goods and furniture
  • Practical support to enable independent living in the community

Apply online here

Manchester Citizens Advice

Manchester Citizens Advice provide free, confidential and impartial advice to residents of Manchester City. You can go to them with all sorts of issues such as money, benefit, housing or employment issues.

They are available Monday to Friday 9:30am to 5pm.

Call them on 03444 111 222.

Step Change Step change offer free debt advice and can help you get your finance back on track.   

Visit their website:

Call them on 0800 138 1111 Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and Saturday 8am to 4pm

National Debtline National Debtline give free and independent debt advice over the phone and online.

Visit their website:

Call them on 0808 808 4000 from Monday to Friday 9am – 8pm and Saturday 9:30am – 1pm

Illegal money lending team The illegal money lending team have the power to investigate and prosecute loan sharks and illegal lenders. You can report a loan shark to them anonymously and access local support.

Visit their website: 

Call them on 0300 555 2222 any time of day or night


Text the lenders details to 07860 022116

Sound Pound Sound Pound are a network of Greater Manchester loans and saving providers called Credit Unions.

Find your local Credit Union on their website:

GM health hub – living life to the full

Living Life To The Full is one of the most used resources for improving feelings, beating stress and boosting ability to live well.

Developed by award-winning expert Dr Chris Williams, It has been proven to positively change people's lives in the UK, Europe and America.

GM Health Hub want as many people as possible from across Greater Manchester to also enjoy these benefits.

So they’ve made Living Life To The Full easily available, totally free of charge, for all residents.

 Access the course here.  


Shout is the UK’s first 24/7 text service, free on all major mobile networks, for anyone in crisis anytime, anywhere. It’s a place to go if you’re struggling to cope and you need immediate help.

Shout is powered by a team of volunteers, who are at the heart of the service. We take people from crisis to calm every single day.

 Text shout to 85258 or find out more here.

Alzheimer’s Society

The Alzheimer’s Society offer support and advice for people affected by dementia.

 Call them on 0333 150 3456.


TaxAid is a small independent charity that provides free, professional tax advice to those on low incomes. They are a safety net for those who cannot be assisted by HMRC because they need independent advice, or calculations, or they are in dispute with HMRC.

By low income they mean those on incomes of approximately £20,000 or less (before tax, individual income, with some flexibility to give one-off advice on tax debt where our income remit exceeded).


Call them on 0345 120 3779 Monday to Friday 10am to 4pm.


Or send them an email query here.

NESTAC - Ear For You Covid 19 support line for BAME communities

A third of Covid-19 patients are from Black and Asian Minority Ethnic population (BAME). ‘Ear for You’ Campaign aims to provide online counselling Covid-19 related advice and emotional support to the BAME communities across Greater Manchester, whilst working in partnership with local statutory and non-statutory agencies. Who can call, people from BAME communities who are recovering from Covid 19 who are self-isolating. Relatives and friends of clients suffering from Covid-19, Bereaved relatives and friends of a deceased Covid-19 person, BAME women and young girls who are victims or abuse and violence

For more information visit: or contact 0786 227 9289 / 0789 412 6157, you can also text the word ‘HELP’ and someone will get back to you. The service is open seven days a week from 10am-6pm.


Find out information about your area here: