COOKIE NOTICE: Irwell Valley uses cookies to store information on your computer, in order to improve your experience when using our website. One of the cookies we use is essential for parts of the site to operate and has already been set. You may delete and block all cookies from this site (using your browser), but parts of the site may not work. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, Read More.

Rent arrears

Rent arrears

What will happen if I don't pay my rent?

If you have problems with paying your rent, contact our Rents team on 0300 561 1111, as soon as possible. We will offer you confidential help, advice and support if you are experiencing financial difficulties. 

How we manage rent arrears

We will notify you by letter when arrears are owing on your rent account and if you fail to respond, we will visit your home. 

If you do not contact us to make arrangements to repay your arrears, we will serve you with a Notice of Seeking Possession. This notice is the first step in legal proceedings to take possession of your home. 

If you continue to ignore our attempts to contact you, and/or fail to repay your arrears, we will make an application to the County Court for possession of the property. At a hearing, the Court Judge can make an order for possession which could result in you losing your home. 

If you do not maintain payments to repay your arrears in line with a court order, we will have no alternative but to request a Bailiff's appointment for your eviction from the property.

If you have rent arrears and have received a court hearing date or eviction date, and have not already done so, it is important that you contact us to discuss your arrears and the problems you are having with paying your rent.

Our Rents Team can be contacted on 0300 561 1111 or email

Former Tenancy Arrears

If you have left an irwell valley homes tenancy owing rent arrears, it will affect your ability to obtain accommodation from other social housing providers until the debt is cleared in full. If you wish to discuss an arrear owed on a former tenancy, please contact our Rents team on 0300 561 1111 or email

If you wish to make a payment to your former rent account and know the rent account reference click the button below.


Pay your rent now